I also mentioned this topic in my GDPR article , but it is now really long and therefore here briefly an aid for all those who want to host Google Fonts themselves.
3-click solution for WordPress websites
- Installs the WordPress plugin Self-Hosted Google Fonts
- Go into plugin settings and switch to “Yes, Enable”
- Save changes. Finished.
- If you use a caching plugin, reset the cache once.
Method for static ( self-programmed) websites:
Anyone who has access to the source code can host the Google Fonts themselves with the help of this website: https://google-webfonts-helper.herokuapp.com/fonts
- Choose the font you use in the left
- Choose styles used
- Copy CSS and copy it into your own CSS file. Adjust path. Should point where you want to store the fonts. See point 5.
- Download font
- Store all files of the unpacked zip file in your font folder
- Repeat point 1-5 For all the fonts used
- Load the whole thing onto your server. Finished.
I would appreciate your feedback